Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Meet my new freezer bags



Being as anti-plastic as I am, one of my last frontiers has been the freezer. For the majority of items, I use Pyrex or stoneware containers to freeze meals or meat. Then I use greaseproof paper for things like home-made pizza bases. This left our bread, muffins and rolls.

So I bought some cotton tea towels, soaked them for 48 hours in salt to fix their colour and remove formaldehyde, washed them a number of times and sewed them together.

The only thing I'd change next time is to only use 1 tea towel per bag. I used 2 and they are huge LOL. I may even unpick this lot eventually and make that change. But I am happy with them as they are at the moment.

They work brilliantly as freezer bags and it has meant that I can get rid of yet more plastic from our lives. And that can only be a good thing :-)


4 comments:

  1. I am sorry but I do not understand how cloth bags work as freezer bags. I would love to try this but how do they preserve the bread without drying it out?Cloth breaths. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    I got the idea from a friend who had used them successfully. I havent had a problem with bread drying out.

    So far I've used them for bread, bread rolls, home-made sausage rolls (so pastry) and muffins. None of these has dried out or suffered freezer burn. They have all defrosted beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, just wondering (two years later) how these are holding up as freezer bags? You said you used Pyrex and stoneware for freezer meals -- these don't crack? Pls let me know as I would like to stop using regular freezer bags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellen,

    I still use these freezer bags, 2.5 years later. I even made a few more. I use them for bread, muffins and gozlemes.

    I have never had my pyrex or stoneware crack. I even put them straight from the freezer into the microwave to reheat or defrost. I mainly use them for meat, meals, frozen fruit and stock. I even use a large Pyrex to store home-made icecream.

    ReplyDelete